Choosing the right bottle teat is at least as important as choosing the right anti-colic baby bottle. But which Difrax bottle teat suits your child best? The right choice depends on a number of factors:
- Your child’s preference
- Your child’s suction power
- Your child's age
- The type of food
We’re here to offer you A little help in choosing the right bottle teat.
Different types of Difrax bottle teats
The right choice for a Difrax bottle teat depends on your child’s preference. Difrax has three types of bottle teats:
- Soft-coated bottle teats for the Natural baby bottle. These small, nipple-shaped bottle teats are most similar to the mother’s breast and therefore have the best acceptance rate among babies. The soft coating provides extra grip, which allows your child to easily hold the teat in its mouth. The Natural bottle teats fit Natural S-bottles, standard Dr Brown’s bottles and other brands of small baby bottles.
- Dental bottle teats for the Natural baby bottle. The Dental bottle teat is suitable for children with reflux, children who choke quickly, children who drink too fast or premature babies. The Dental bottle teat has a flat side that evenly spreads the milk in the mouth. This prevents choking and makes sure that your child swallows the right amount of milk. The Dental bottle teats fit Natural S-bottles, standard Dr Brown's bottles and other brands of small baby bottles.
- Soft-coated bottle teats for the Wide baby bottle. These Wide bottle teats are most suitable for children who like to open their mouth a bit wider, also known as a preference for wide latching. The soft coating provides extra grip, which allows your child to easily hold the teat in its mouth. The Wide bottle teat fits the Difrax Anti-Colic Wide S-bottles (200 ml and 310 ml), Avent bottles and other brands of wide baby bottles.
If you don’t know your baby's preference yet, it’s best to start with the Natural bottle teat. This type is generally best accepted.
Difrax bottle teats come in different sizes. The size is related to the size of the opening of the teat. The correct size depends on your baby’s suction power and the type of food you use. Thicker food and greater suction power require a larger teat size. Your baby should be able to finish a bottle of food in about 15-20 minutes. If this is the case, you’re probably using the correct size.
- Size S: can be used immediately from birth (0 months). Suitable for thin food, like breast milk or formula milk. Difrax baby bottles come with a standard size S Difrax bottle teat. Available in a Dental, Natural and Wide versions.
- If the size S Natural or Wide bottle teat empties too quickly for your baby, you can try the Dental bottle teat. This has been specially designed for babies who choke quickly or babies with reflux.
- Size M: can be used from about 3 months. Suitable for thin and thickened food, like milk thickened with carob bean gum, flour or rice porridge. Available in a Natural and Wide versions.
- Size L: can be used from about 6 months. Suitable for thin and thickened food, like milk thickened with carob bean gum, flour or rice porridge. Available in a Natural and Wide versions.
- Size XL Porridge teat: for coarse cereal porridge, can be used from about 9 months. Only available in a Wide version.
- 1-2-3 bottle teat: can be used from about 3 months. Suitable for thin and thicker food. Position 1 is for thin food, and the size of the opening is between size S and M. Position 2 is for (slightly) thickened food, and the size of the opening is between size M and L. Position 3 is for thickened and thick food, and the size of the opening is between size L and XL. The position can be adjusted for each feeding. The 1-2-3 bottle teat can only be used in combination with the 1-2-3 ring. Available in Natural and Wide versions.
Advantages of Difrax bottle teats
- A suitable bottle teat for every preference, suction power, age and food type.
- Special coating for extra grip.
- A suitable bottle teat for every anti-colic S-bottle.
- Can be used from birth onward.
- BPA-free, odorless and tasteless.
- No risk of latex allergies.
All Difrax bottle teats are made of a high-quality, odorless and tasteless silicone material. The smooth finish allows the teat to glide quickly out of your baby’s mouth. The Natural and Wide bottle teats have a special soft coating that ensures a good grip. The Dental teat has a flat side, which makes it easier for the teat to stay in your baby’s mouth. This way, your baby can keep on drinking comfortably.
Tip! Replace the Difrax bottle teat every six weeks. Check for damage daily.
Want to know the best way to clean the bottle teat and other baby products? Go to “Cleaning pacifiers, bottle teats and baby bottles.”